I have to start today by telling you about last night - I was able to meet with the head doctor from from the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit (henceforth called the NICU) and it was such a blessing. Not only was he very calm and reassuring, he patiently sat through my long list of questions and gave me honest answers about what to expect after the baby is born. I am very, very lucky to be in a hospital with a Level 3 NICU - which is the equivalent of what you would find at most Children's specialty hospitals. He told me that this program has the lowest instance of long term lung problems for any preemies in the country! Praise God for putting me right here in this very spot - and just another reason for me to sign up as an ambassador for my dear Wheaton.
These are the things he said are our biggest concerns, so for those of you who keep asking for specifics on how to pray, please focus here: 1) Lung development and 2) Feeding problems. Most babies at 34 weeks don't have the ability to suck, so the baby will most likely have to go on a feeding tube as well as have some type of oxygen. They don't know if he will need a ventilator or not, just depends on how long he stays in. If he were born this week, they would expect him to stay here for 2 or 3 additional weeks. Three members of their team will be present for my delivery so that the baby will immediately begin to receive the best care possible. Overall he said that a 34 week baby would be one of the biggest and oldest that they have down there. This hospital handles kids born in the early 20 week timeframe. So even at this point he can come in and be a rockstar.
The news on me is also good - your prayers are working and I am stable. My numbers continue to be consistent and I am feeling pretty good. I had my first couple of contractions yesterday, but they were very, very small. It is a sign that my body is starting to get ready for all of this though, and they said it's good so I believe them. I know I am able to relax because of all of your prayers and the care that you are providing for Jamie and Natalie. We were almost in tears last night while we were talking about how cared for we are feeling. May God bless all of you in a special way for loving us so well.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so thankful you were able to have many of your questions answered...God is truly in control.
We are looking forward to having dinner with Jamie and Natalie next week...I hope I choose a good meal for everyone :)
Post a Comment