Snow Mentality. . .It has been more apparent to me over this past week than ever before. When the snow is coming, it seems like your brain shuts down. On Tuesday they were calling for the snow to hit around 6 pm and they were calling for us to get a foot. I was in meetings most of the day, which is normal these days, but these were the least productive meetings you can imagine. Even the most dedicated of employees were easily derailed and conversations had phrases like "how did we get on this topic" show up over and over again. Talk of fun times we had in the snow when we were kids turned into general fun we had as kids turned into multi-cultural lessons on kid's fun. We just couldn't focus. Grown men and women had essentially degenerated into little kids, giddy over the impending flakes that for most of us meant super long commutes, lots of shovelling, and general inconvenience. By the end of the day we were practically skipping to our cars. . .Let the fun begin. . .I'll see you on Thursday (assumptions were made that we would all be working from home on Wednesday due to the heavy snow.)
And then, it didn't start snowing. It will be here at midnight they said. Then when I went to bed they said it would be started by 6 am. I woke up at 6:15 and gingerly peeped out the window. Nothing. Not even a stray flake. Where was the snow? I was promised snow, and lots of it. And I certainly couldn't pull myself together and make the efforts of going to work. Snow mentality had taken over. Storm tracker Stacy was in a panic. I was willing it to snow.
Finally, around 11 am it started. I was justified. I don't know what it is about falling snow either, but I could sit and watch it forever. Conference calls are just so much more bearable when you are sitting on the sofa watching it snow. I think Snow Mentality brings out the best in us. There was a sense of comaraderie and general excitement that just seemed to make all of us a little bit happier. Even if we haven't seen the sun in weeks. For me, Snow Mentality Rules.
Thursday, February 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment