Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Catching Up
Jamie's dad, Randy, (aka Boom-Pa) came for a visit! He was in town for some meetings, but we were able to spend a few days together over the weekend and we had such a nice time. The definite highlight of the weekend was our visit to the Museum of Science and Industry.
We all had our favorite parts. Natalie's favorite was the Baby Chick hatchery. I was actually concerned that we might have to purchase this little guy and bring him home. He and Natalie kept looking at each other for several minutes and he couldn't even be distracted by the other chicks around him. Don't you think our cat would enjoy playing with him?
Jamie and his dad enjoyed the train exhibit the most. Randy has an impressive collection of model trains, so he was extra impressed with this display. Even for someone like me with little to no interest, it was still pretty cool. Just the massive display was impressive. Jamie liked all of the models they had in the cities. We literally had to drag them out of this area. Natalie and I ate a little snack on a bench because they took so long. And to clarify, what you see in this picture is probably only about 1/3 of the display.
My favorite part of the trip was the building itself. I have been dying to go down there since reading "The Devil In The White City" which is about the Chicago World's Fair. The museum is the only structure left from the fair and it was one of the smaller buildings on the fair campus. I was awed at how massive it was, and could only imagine what some of the main buildings must have looked like. If I had a time machine, I would certainly be interested in seeing some of that World's Fair. And if you haven't read the book, I recommend it. Lots of architecture history along with a really good murder mystery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am really enjoying reading your blogs, Stacy.
Love,
Gigi
Post a Comment