Tuesday, April 15, 2008

TV Land

I'm not sure how it happened. I didn't even realize it until today and that makes it even worse! Let me back up for a minute. A couple of years ago we had these friends who never could do anything because they always had a show to watch. It was annoying. And ridiculous. Over time I became so bothered by it that I committed that I would regularly watch NO MORE than two shows. Period. And I started cutting things and found that I didn't even miss them. Better than that, I started reading like a mad person. I think I might have even gotten a little uppity about my lack of television watching.
And when the writers strike happened, I gave it up all together. In January alone I read 4 books. Oh yeah, I was awesome.
But then. . .things started coming on that I was interested in. And I heard people talking and you know I don't like it when I can't contribute SOMETHING to a conversation. And then today. Yep, like a smack in the face. I was talking to my friend about how awesome How I Met Your Mother was last night (seriously, the chain of screaming was brilliant) and then we started talking about The Office. Now that is my weakness. The one show I never could give up. I have been known to call it the happiest thirty minutes of my week. But then he made the comment "We often ask if we are the only people that rely on TV to make it through the week. Maybe its just where we work, but I know tons of people that now have a spring in their step because the writers strike is over." And I was nodding my head as fast as I could. And there it was. The cold water dump at the end of the game. The head thrown back in unabashed laughter. Or Jamie's favorite - Nelson's pointing "Ha Ha" from The Simpsons. I am sucked in. Sucked in to TV Land.
It's going to take me a while to come up with a plan. Maybe I'll start with two nights instead of two shows. Because really, American Idol will only last a few more weeks anyway. Monday and Thursday. Oh yeah, that sounds like a plan. Besides, baseball season has started. And watching The Cubs doesn't count as watching TV.

3 comments:

stephy said...

I watch a lot of TV and I think it makes me a better, smarter, and happier person.

People who say "I don't watch TV and I listen to NPR" are people I do not want to be around!

digging a hole to China said...

ugggh. i can't tell if the shows being back on is a curse or a blessing. i only watch a couple of shows that i tivo. so of course during the strike i took up House and saw every episode ever made; isn't tivo great? i enjoyed having more free time during the strike so maybe i won't go back to the full lineup. or most likely i will just keep recording the shows and wait til another offseason to catch up on them. bc unlike you, i never see anyone to discuss what's happening on tv so none of the endings will be ruined for me. but how in the world did you read four books? where did you even find four books?? any run i make to the library is spent in the preschool section just long enough to grab 25 books and get out. and gasp, i've never seen an episode of the office. but since you and beck love it i guess i should add that to the tivo list.

ASkillern said...

Watching the Cubs doesn't count as watching baseball, either.